FARRO BOWL WITH FRESH & SAUTÉED VEGGIES
For 2 servings | Vegetarian
INGREDIENTS FOR BOWL:
- 1 c farro
- 3 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 bunch of broccolini
- 1/2 bunch of dino kale
- 1 c white mushrooms
- 1 Persian cucumber
- 3 small radishes
- 1/2 c tricolored carrots
- 1 c arugula
- 1 small avocado
- 2 eggs
- salt and pepper
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- Creamy Cashew Sauce
- Fill a small pot with water, add two whole eggs, cover and bring to a boil. Once boiling turn off heat and set timer to 6 mins. Allow the eggs to sit in the hot water until the time is up. After 6 mins take eggs out of water, peel and slice in half.
- Meanwhile, cook farro according to package directions; set aside when cooked.
- While eggs and farro are cooking, wash and chop broccolini into bite-size pieces, cut kale into 1/2-inch thick slices and each mushroom into 4 cubes.
- In a cast iron pan, heat 1 tsp of olive oil; once hot add in the chopped broccolini. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Cook on high heat for 5–7 mins, until tender and dark green. Take off heat; set aside.
- In the same cast iron pan, add 1 tsp olive oil. Add the sliced dino kale and a pinch of salt and pepper. Stir constantly for about 3 mins until kale is wilted and dark green. Remove from heat; set aside.
- In the same cast iron pan, add another tsp of olive oil. Add the cubed mushrooms and a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook on high heat for about 5 mins, until tender and browned. Remove from heat; set aside.
- Wash and thinly slice the cucumber, radishes and carrots; set aside.
- Once everything is cooked, its time to assemble the two bowls. (I like to use bowls that are almost like a plate with curved edges, but two large bowls will work too.)
- Split all the prepared ingredients equally between the bowls. Place the cooked ingredients in the bowl first, then layer on the fresh ingredients.
- Top off with Creamy Cashew Sauce and season egg and avocado with salt and pepper.
INGREDIENTS FOR CREAMY CASHEW SAUCE:
- 1/2 c raw unsalted cashews
- 3/4 c water
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tsp shallot
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- small pinch of salt
Place all ingredients into a small blender and blend on high until smooth.