GRILLED OCTOPUS WITH SPICY PINE NUT HUMMUS
For 2 servings
INGREDIENTS FOR GRILLED OCTOPUS:
- 1 whole octopus
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 c pitted green olives
- 1 tbsp pitted black olives
- 1 tsp capers
- 1 clove garlic
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp chopped pistachios
- 1 tsp fresh parsley
- Fill a large pot with water.
- Generously season water with salt. Add octopus and bring to a simmer. Cover and simmer for 35 mins.
- While the octopus is cooking, make Spicy Pine Nut Hummus; set aside.
- Once hummus is prepared, use your fingers to break olives into small pieces; set aside.
- Place 3 tbsp olive oil, pieced olives, capers, minced garlic and red pepper flakes into a sauté pan. Heat to low, allow to warm and cook ingredients slowly. Once fragrant, remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- After 35 mins, take octopus out of simmering water. Lay on towel to absorb excess water.
- Heat cast iron skillet to high heat.
- Slice arms off octopus. Place in a bowl with 1 tbsp olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper; mix well.
- Once skillet is hot, place octopus arms onto the skillet. Allow to char and cook for 2 mins on each side.
- To plate, smear hummus on plate; lay octopus arms across hummus. Pour olive and caper sauce over octopus. Squeeze 1/2 a lemon over the top. Sprinkle chopped pistachios and fresh chopped parsley over plate.
- Serve immediately.
INGREDIENTS FOR SPICY PINE NUT HUMMUS:
- 2 c garbanzo beans (soaked or canned)
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1/3 c tahini
- 1 tbsp pine nuts
- 1 lemon
- 1/3 c olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/3 c warm water
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- In a food processor toss in garbanzo beans, garlic cloves, tahini, pine nuts, lemon juice, 1 tbsp olive oil, salt and cayenne pepper.
- Blend everything together until smooth. Add water as necessary to achieve desired consistency.